Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Techy Tuesday

Starting today I'm going to try a new segment for my blog: Techy Tuesday. This will be a weekly (or bi-weekly depending on my busy schedule) segment focused on different forms of technology. Since I'm moving forward more into the technical field than the anthropological one I think this will be a great opportunity to show people how the two work together. It also gives me the chance to showcase some of the projects I have been working on for my Geospatial work as part of my grad program.

In addition I also want to open the floor up to anyone who would like to do a guest post about any kind of technology. It is my goal that most of you will learn something new with every Techy Tuesday segment and also get to discuss these technologies both here and on my facebook page. If  you are interested in guest blogging or just want me to write about a specific technology please email me at: curtincall89 [at] gmail [dot] com. 

For this week's segment I would like to address the question: just what is technology? Webster defines it as: "The application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes" or "Machinery and equipment developed from such scientific knowledge."

This is very similar to the anthropological definition of technology which is: "The body of knowledge available to a society that is of use in fashioning implements, practicing manual arts and skills, and extracting or collecting materials." (thefreedictionary.com)


What does your mind conjure up when you hear the world technology? Do you think more along the lines of the anthropological sense, or more in lines of actual equipment and gadgets that we use in the modern times? Discuss...

2 comments:

Alexis Kennedy said...

I'm sure this comes as no surprise to you when I say the anthropological sense of the word is what comes to mind for me ;)

Sam Curtin said...

Lol, color me shocked ;)

Post a Comment