Monday, May 6, 2013

Bloody Inspiration

Horror is my obsession; vivid horror is even better. It is my goal in life to paint pictures in your mind that you will never forget. There are some lines from books/stories that have inspired Summer's Hollow and today I would like to share them with you. Some you might recognize, others maybe not, but I guarantee you won't forget them when you close your eyes at night.

“Sometimes a light glimmered out of the physician's eyes, burning blue and ominous, like the reflection of a furnace, or, let us say, like one of those gleams of ghastly fire that darted from Bunyan's awful doorway in the hill-side, and quivered on the pilgrim's face.” - Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
“Wendy? Darling? Light, of my life. I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just going to bash your  brains in.” - Stephen King, The Shining
 “Dead fields under a November sky, scattered rose petals brown and turning up at the  edges, empty pools scummed with algae, rot, decomposition, dust... ”  - Stephen King, Pet Sematary
 “That above all else. They did not look out their windows. No matter what noises or dreadful possibilities, no matter how awful the unknown, there was an even worse thing: to look the Gorgon in the face.” - Stephen King, Salem's Lot
 "There was much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust.” - Edgar Allan Poe, The Masque of the Red Death
 “He was a tool of the boss, without brains or backbone.” - Franz Kafka, The Metamorphosis
 “Through all this horror my cat stalked unperturbed. Once I saw him monstrously perched atop a mountain of bones, and wondered at the secrets that might lie behind his yellow eyes.” - H.P. Lovecraft, The Rats in the Walls

Any quotes from your favorite stories that inspire you? (and yes that picture is me having fun with fake blood for Halloween back in '09)





0 comments:

Post a Comment